You might not think that clothes make a significant impact on the environment, but they are! Not only do our wardrobes define who we are, but the choices we make in what to wear can have a huge impact on the planet.
Of course, you want to look good and be comfortable--and that doesn't mean settling for unsustainable fabrics. The truth is that there's an amazing range of apparel made from sustainable fabrics these days; you just need to know where to find them.
Fortunately, I'm here with tips on how to shop for clothing made from eco-friendly materials so you can feel great about your fashion choices and have fun doing it! Read more now if this sounds like something that interests you...
You might not think that clothes are a big deal, but they are! Not only do our wardrobes define who we are, but the choices we make in what to wear can have a huge impact on the planet. Of course, you want to look good and be comfortable--and that doesn't mean settling for unsustainable fabrics. The truth is that there's an amazing range of apparel made from sustainable fabrics these days; you just need to know where to find them. Fortunately, I'm here with tips on how to shop for clothing made from eco-friendly materials so you can feel great about your fashion choices and have fun doing it! Read more now if this sounds like something that interests you...
What are Sustainable Fabrics and Why Does it Matter?
A common misconception about sustainable clothing is that it costs more than other types of clothing but this isn't really the case. Sustainable clothing can be affordable and even cheaper than clothes from fast fashion stores like Primark because they last longer and will need less attention in terms of upkeep whereas cheaply made clothes will deteriorate quickly. Not only does sustainable clothing tend to wear well and last longer, but it is also better for the environment.
Sustainable fabrics are better for humans because they do not rely on harsh chemicals or dyes to be produced and nobody wants harmful chemicals next to their skin! What's more, is that clothing made of recycled materials can also end up in landfills so if you buy sustainable clothing, you can feel good knowing that it isn't just good for the environment but humans and animals too.
Fast fashion companies are also able to produce a lot of cheaply made clothes quickly because they rely on unsustainable fabrics such as acrylics and polyester which not only make people look cheap but really do have an incredibly negative impact on the environment. Sustainably made clothes can be just as stylish and attractive but they do not have to rely on harmful substances to make them. These sustainable fabrics are also good for the environment because they use much less energy than plastics, synthetics, and other toxic materials.
Types of Sustainable Fabrics
Sustainable fabrics are not only good for you, but they're also good for the environment! Sustainable fabrics do not rely on harsh chemicals or dyes to be produced. It is better for them because it does not rely on harsh chemicals or dyes to be produced. It is also environmentally friendly and will not end up in landfill sites.
Organic cotton is a sustainable fabric because it does not rely on fertilizers, pesticides or other means of adding nutrients to the soil. Instead, it relies on crop rotation and natural fertilizers. Organic cotton farmers also don't use hazardous insecticides in their fields which means there are fewer chemicals in the environment. Additionally, organic cotton shirts and pants are created without using an enzyme blend to break down the cellulose in the cotton. This means that all of the cellulose stays intact which prevents those fibers from being flushed away with water when they're washed.
- Hemp is an eco-friendly fabric that is made with renewable materials. It can be made in a way where it doesn't use any pesticides, so it's better for the environment. It also doesn't use any chemicals that are not earth-friendly, such as chlorine. Hemp fibers are long and thin, similar to flax yarns and cotton fibers. You can make clothing out of hemp fiber like T-shirts, jeans, skirts and even bags!nIf you want a fabric made out of natural materials so it's better for the environment, hemp is a good option.
- Wool is considered to be one of the more sustainable fabrics because it's a natural fiber that can be easily biodegraded. Wool also has excellent thermo-regulating properties which means that it will keep you warm in cold weather and cool in warmer temperatures. The lifespan of wool fibers ranges from 8-10 years with expected wear and tear, but reports show that woolen garments can last up to 20 years with proper care (such as dry cleaning).
- Linen is one of the most sustainable fabrics because it can be grown in a wide range of climates with both cool and warm weather. It also takes less water to grow linen than any other textile fiber, making it an ideal fabric for an eco-friendly wardrobe.
Check the Label
If you're shopping for clothes and trying to find sustainable fabrics, it's a good idea to look at the label or tags for reviews. Some things that you could look for on a tag are:
- The fiber content: Is it 100% natural? Does the fabric have any polyester, acrylics, or dyes?
- Is the company behind the clothing producing any eco-friendly practices in their production process?
- Are there any toxic substances being used in the clothing's production?
Your Purchasing Dollar is a Vote
Choosing a fabric that is eco-friendly and made from organic fibers will be better for everyone, including you! If you want to wear clothes made in an environmentally friendly way, then please choose clothes made from sustainable fabrics. Just is a marketplace dedicated to sustainable fabrics and ethical production of all goods, here's a selection of sustainable clothing to get you started today!